The IAAAS offers free professional migration services to community members who need to apply for a Protection Visa (subclass 866). This visa type is for people who arrived in Australia lawfully and need to seek asylum due to a well-founded fear of persecution in their country of origin.
The IAAAS is an Australian Government-funded service, you must meet the following eligibility criteria to access advice about a protection visa:
- Have arrived in Australia on a valid visa (and cleared immigration)
- Have not engaged or are no longer working with a Registered Migration Agent
- Have not previously had a protection visa application considered in Australia
- Be in financial hardship, where you do not have the money to be able to pay for professional migration services.
To be eligible for more services under IAAAS, a person must meet additional criteria. Our friendly advisers will go through this with individuals when they get in contact or you can find out more in the brochure and fact sheets at the bottom of this page.
Access the IAAAS Online Referral Form here or call 1800 932 082 to speak to a friendly SSI IAAAS team member.
SSI manages the process for the IAAAS and coordinates the delivery of services nationally. All agents and lawyers providing IAAAS services are registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).
Please note: The IAAAS does not provide services for people applying for other types of visas unless they are minors for whom the Minister is guardian under the Immigration (Guardianship of Children) Act.
COVID-19 impact on services: IAAAS is still open during the pandemic. All contact with our migration experts will be done via phone and/or videoconferencing.
Phone: 1800 932 082
Recordings of "Should I apply for a Protection Visa or do I have other options?" Webinar (English, Burmese and Spanish)
- Spanish - https://youtu.be/yojRf9zxS8U.
- Burmese - https://youtu.be/Ec2GvX1fmXA.
- Hindi - https://youtu.be/tgBcaNKkrWM
- English - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hubzV2p1g.
More information and resources
Click the image above to view and download the IAAAS brochure.
Factsheets for IAAAS are available for download below, providing easy to understand details on IAAAS and the eligibility criteria.
- IAAAS General Factsheet English174.94 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Arabic362.44 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Burmese247.37 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Chinese (S)377.75 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Spanish199.74 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Vietnamese324.77 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Dari186.03 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Tamil193.02 KB
- IAAAS General Factsheet Farsi181.56 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth English358.04 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Arabic362.44 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Burmese191.97 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Chinese (S)286.29 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Spanish185.12 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Vietnamese297.29 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Dari303.27 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Farsi317.92 KB
- IAAAS Factsheet for Youth Tamil570.79 KB
Interview Tips for TPV/SHEV Applicants in English/Tamil