About SSI Allianz Scholarship Program
People with refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds can face considerable barriers to participating in Australia’s education system. Supported by financial services company Allianz and other donors, the SSI Allianz Scholarship program aims to make things a little easier.
Through the program we provide one-off scholarships of up to $5000 to students preparing to undertake study or have their existing skills recognised in New South Wales, Queensland or Victoria.
How we help
Applications for the 2024 academic year are now CLOSED
Applications open: 4th September 2023
Applications close: 2nd October 2023
Successful applicants notified: Applicants notified mid – late January 2024
Applicants receive funding: Mid-January – mid February 2024
To be successful for support, applicants must:
- Be from a refugee or asylum seeker background on the listed visa numbers: 117, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 449, 786, 790, 842, 851, 866. Applicants on bridging, SHEV 790 or TPV 785 are also eligible to apply but must consider individual circumstances regarding visa obligations and any potential impact to other sources of income.
- Have been living in Australia for five years or less, (from 2018 this year). Except for eligible bridging visa holders and 851 visas who now have no time in country limit
- Reside and study in NSW, QLD or VIC.
- Meet eligibility criteria specific to each scholarship category (see application forms for more details).
- Not have previously received an SSI Allianz scholarship.
*No more than one scholarship will be awarded in each immediate family in the same household per year.
*People living with disability that meet the criteria are encouraged to apply.
Outlines the purpose of the SSI Allianz Refugee Scholarship program, eligibility criteria, application process, required documents, and application questions for various categories of applicants.
More about SSI Scholarships
The Educational categories available and the amounts awarded are as follows:
* Secondary Education – $1500
* Vocational Education and Training – $3000
* University – $5000
* Skills & Qualification Recognition – $5000
Persecution, war, political instability and displacement are all factors that lead individuals and families to leave their homes to seek permanent protection elsewhere, including Australia. Refugees who come to Australia face many challenges during settlement, such as financial hardship, dealing with experiences of torture and trauma, and family separation.
Australia is a nation built on immigration. We have a long history of providing safe asylum to refugees, many of whom have gone on to make great civil, social and economic contributions to Australian society.
SSI and Allianz aim to continue that tradition by providing targeted scholarships to those who are most in need and willing to overcome social and economic challenges.
In response to the various needs of refugee communities, SSI and Allianz offer scholarships to individuals across a range of education categories, including secondary, vocational education and training, university, and skills qualification and recognition.
Applications for scholarships for the 2024 academic year will open and be available here from the 4th September – 2nd October 2023.
– Be from a refugee background or asylum seeker background on the listed visa numbers: 117, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 786, 790, 842, 851, 866. Applicants on SHEV 790, TPV 785 and bridging visas with an asylum seeker background are also eligible to apply but must consider individual circumstances, visa obligations and any potential impact to other sources of income.
– Have been living in Australia for five years or less, (from 2018 this year). Except for eligible bridging visa holders and 851 visas who now have no time in country limit
– Reside and study in NSW, QLD or VIC.
– Meet eligibility criteria specific to each scholarship category (see individual application form for more details).
– People with a disability who meet the criteria are encouraged to apply.
No, scholarships are open to those mentioned above. If you are unsure, please contact
Yes, you are eligible to apply but due to the variable and changing visa requirements we advise applicants to consider the scholarships one off payment’s potential, to impact any existing payments as well as any reporting obligations you may have, particularly regarding full-time study.
The websites below may assist but it is advised to speak to an expert to understand any impact to your individual circumstance.
Please see the key dates listed on this webpage for details on application opening, closing and announcements.
We have no restrictions on you receiving scholarships from other providers but we do advise that
you to check the other scholarship provider’s restrictions.
You will find a document on this webpage called ‘Alternatives to SSI Allianz Scholarships’ that lists other scholarship and education opportunities that you can explore.
Multiple members of a family household are invited to apply in the same academic year; however, no more than one scholarship will be granted per immediate family household in a single academic year.
The scholarship applications are only available in English and must be completed in English.
You can receive assistance, but the application answers must be the applicant’s own words. Applications may also be submitted by an authorised representative (e.g., Teacher or Case Manager).
No, however documentation will be requested to demonstrate your effort in gaining skills and qualification recognition. It will be assessed by the Review Committee.
No, SSI employees are not eligible for the scholarships.
No. These scholarships are only for applicants living and studying in NSW, VIC, or QLD. Please the see the ‘Alternatives to SSI scholarship’ on this webpage.
No, you must be living in NSW, QLD or Victoria at the time the application is received.
No, you must be studying in the 2024 academic year.
No late submission will be accepted for any reason.
It is strongly encouraged that all successful recipients attend the ceremony. It is also strongly encouraged that you invite your family, friends, and referees to help celebrate your achievement. Most importantly this is a chance to celebrate your success and to thank those that made your scholarship possible. The exact date will be advertised by February 2024.