At SSI diversity and inclusion is at our heart. We offer diverse programs and initiatives and work with diverse clients and communities.
We recognise that harnessing individual differences and building an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, helps:
- bring out the best in our people and our organisation
- better support the clients and communities we work with
Therefore, workplace inclusion is important to us. It supports wellbeing and helps our people experience a sense of belonging. Inclusion at SSI is about having an environment where everyone can be their best unique self at work. It is where people are welcomed, respected and valued for the perspectives and capabilities they bring and the contribution they make.
We have a diverse workforce, with approximately 70% of staff identifying as being culturally and linguistically diverse, and two-thirds of staff being female. We also capitalise on our strength in cultural and linguistic diversity to embrace diversity in all its forms.
We have been focused on building our awareness and confidence internally in three areas:
- Disability – We were one of the first NGOs in Australia to achieve the Disability Confident Recruiter status through Australian Network on Disability. See here for further information: https://www.and.org.au/pages/disability-confident-recruiter.html
- Gender and sexual diversity – We have a working group that has developed staff training and held various events to increase staff awareness and grow our ability to support clients.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and peoples – We are developing our first Reconciliation Action Plan, and are growing our understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Our efforts to foster greater workforce inclusion saw SSI win the Inclusive Workplace Award at the Australian Human Resources Institute Awards 2019.
Our CEO was named one of the Australian Financial Review’s Women of Influence 2018 in the diversity and inclusion category.
Staff resources, learning and events
We offer a range of opportunities to engage staff on topics aligned with inclusion and diversity:
- Culturally Responsive Practice training is mandatory for all staff (also offered externally on a fee for service basis)
- Staff events recognise and build awareness around different topics, including National Reconciliation Week, International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT), Wear it Purple Day and International Day of People with Disability
- Staff can access resources, research and external events through our memberships with the following not-for profit leading member-based organisations:
- Diversity Council Australia, supports organisations and delivers practical research across all aspects of workplace diversity and inclusion
- Australian Network on Disability, supports organisations improve workplace inclusion and accessibility for people with disability
- Pride in Diversity, support organisations improve LGBTIQ+ workplace inclusion
Flexible Working Arrangements including a Fortnightly Rostered Day Off. At SSI we reward full-time staff with a nine- day working fortnight. That means you work a four day week every second week. SSI also offers employees flexible working hours, including variable start and finish times to suit your personal commitments.
Several of our organisation’s offices also have rooms provided for prayer, quiet time and breastfeeding.
As SSI is a not-for-profit organisation, our employees are eligible to receive a number of tax-free benefits through salary packaging arrangements that can increase your net take-home pay.
Salary packaging is an entitlement granted by the Federal Government to workers in Public Benevolent Institutions, allowing you to take part of your income as a tax-free benefit and get more money in your take home pay.
SSI employees can also access discounts on items such as dining out, holiday accommodation and car packaging.
At SSI we are committed to your personal and professional growth. We have a wide range of in-house programs and training available to staff. We encourage growth through continuous on-the-job development.
SSI proactively supports the health and wellbeing of its staff. We are cultivating a mindful workplace which values respect, work-life balance, focusing on what is important and active listening.
The SSI Be Well program is our unique wellness program. This strengths-based program offers an extensive range of professional development training, which spans stress management, communications skills, personal productivity and healthy lifestyle choices. The science of mindfulness is at the heart of the program.
SSI offers a free confidential, impartial and professional counselling and coaching service that can assist employees to overcome work and/or personal issues that may be impacting wellbeing, morale and productivity.
People working with SSI — whether paid or as volunteers — are expected to act in a manner consistent with SSI values and carry out their responsibilities professionally and ethically. These expectations are set out in our Code of Conduct.
The Code of Conduct has been developed in accordance with SSI values and sets out how SSI expects all Board directors, employees, volunteers and people representing the organisation, to behave in the workplace and with external stakeholders — such as clients, government agencies, service partners and suppliers. All people in these roles need to know the responsibilities and obligations relating to their work and to comply.
Everyone is responsible for understanding and adhering to the Code of Conduct. A copy will be made available to employees.
At SSI we offer a range of career opportunities to suit people of varying skill levels and experience.
SSI is committed to developing a diverse workforce and applying the principles of equity, fairness and transparency to all recruitment, selection and appointment processes. As an Equal Opportunity organisation we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply for vacancies listed on the SSI employment page.
When applying for a position at SSI, please submit your resume and cover letter ensuring you have addressed the selection criteria. Successful candidates will be contacted directly by the Recruitment Team to proceed to the next stage.