The SSI Allianz scholarships directly support people from refugee backgrounds in NSW, QLD & VIC to achieve independence. The scholarships have been created to minimise the financial barriers experienced by refugees as they participate in the NSW, QLD & VIC education system.
SSI, with the generous support of Allianz, continues to achieve its vision of a society that values diversity of its people, actively provides support to ensure meaningful social and economic participation, and assists individuals and families to reach their potential.
The Educational categories available and the amounts awarded are as follows:
- Secondary Education - $1500
- Vocational Education and Training - $3000
- University - $5000
- Skills & Qualification Recognition - $5000
Scholarships for the 2023 academic year are now OPEN
Monday, 12 September 2022
5pm Friday, 14 October 2022
|Notification of outcome for: Secondary, Skills Recognition and Vocational Education & Training
Late January 2023
|Notification of application outcome for the University category||
Late-January / February 2023
|Successful Secondary, Vocational Education & Training, Skills & Qualification Recognition receive funding||
Late-January/ February 2023
|Successful University applicants receive funding||
February / March 2023 (confirmation of enrolment must be received)
Early May 2023
To be successful in their application for support, applicants must:
- Be from a refugee or asylum seeker background on the listed visa numbers: 117, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 449, 786, 790, 842, 866. Applicants on bridging, SHEV 790 or TPV 785 are also eligible to apply but must consider individual circumstances regarding visa obligations and any potential impact to other sources of income.
- Have been living in Australia for five years or less (except for eligible bridging, SHEV790, TPV785 visa holders who have no in country time limit).
- Reside and study in NSW, QLD or VIC.
- Meet eligibility criteria specific to each scholarship category (see application forms for more details).
- Not have previously received an SSI Allianz scholarship.
*No more than one scholarship will be awarded in each immediate family in the same household per year.
*People with a disability that meet the criteria are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
THE APPLICATION FORM CANNOT BE SAVED
- Please ensure you have evidence of your visa, a personal statement, one referee letter, two referee name/phone/email details ready before you begin filling out the applications.
- You can click on the link and read the requirements but only begin to fill out the form once you have all documents and information ready.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
Alternatives to SSI Allianz scholarship
We have prepared a document to help you find alternatives to SSI Allianz Refugee Scholarships and make your transition through education smoother. It includes resources such as:
- State and nationwide universities that offer scholarships focusing on humanitarian entrants
- TAFE's Smart & Skilled program offered to humanitarian entrants
- Charities and foundations that support education through various programs
- Technology and stationery providers at affordable prices
Download: Alternatives to SSI Allianz Scholarships
Responding to challenges faced by refugees
Persecution, war, political instability and displacement are all factors that lead individuals and families to leave their homes to seek permanent protection elsewhere, including Australia. Refugees who come to Australia face many challenges during settlement, such as financial hardship, dealing with experiences of torture and trauma, and family separation.
Yet Australia is a nation built on immigration. We have a long history of providing safe asylum to refugees, many of whom have gone on to make great civil, social and economic contributions to Australian society.
SSI and Allianz aim to continue that tradition by providing targeted scholarships to those who are most in need and willing to overcome social and economic challenges.
In response to the various needs of refugee communities, SSI and Allianz offer scholarships to individuals across a range of education categories, including secondary, vocational education and training, university, and skills qualification and recognition.
How you can help
SSI welcomes donations from members of the community who are committed to helping individuals and families reach their potential. Opportunities for support include the funding of scholarships.
All donations are welcome and will help make a difference to refugees in NSW.
Donations of $2 and above made to Settlement Services International are tax deductible.