Jobs Victoria Advocates
Jobs Victoria Advocates can help you find work by connecting you to local support and training. We can connect you to information, advice, and training that's right for you.
Our Advocates at SSI support anyone in the community (particularly people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds) who is looking for employment or who needs employment-related supports including:
- People currently working but considering a change of career/job in the future
- People undertaking post-secondary study who are unsure of their work options
- Underemployed workers (i.e. those working fewer hours than they would like)
- People currently out of the labour-market but planning to re-enter the workforce
- Retrenched workers
- Long-term unemployed jobseekers
- Jobseekers who are ineligible for Commonwealth employment services
- Jobseekers referred by other services, including Victorian Government services
- Jobseekers with multiple and/or complex barriers to employment.
How we can help
If you’re looking for work, we can help you get started by:
- connecting you to skills and training through Work and Learning Centres, TAFE Skills and Job Centres, and apprenticeships;
- helping you apply for jobs through the Jobs Victoria online hub;
- or if you need more support, linking you to a Jobs Victoria Partner who can provide hands-on support such as CV and interview skills, and then help you find a job.
Who can apply
SSI hosts Jobs Victoria Advocates in the Inner Southern and Western regions of Melbourne which includes the council areas of Greater Dandenong, Kingston, Frankston, Cardinia, Casey, Mornington Peninsula, Brimbank, Melton, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Moonee Valley and Wyndham. Our Advocates will be in these communities at community facilities such as libraries, places of worship, schools and playgroups.
Alternatively, please get in touch with us at the contact details at the bottom of this page to have a chat about supports available or to register for an upcoming information session.
Jobs Victoria Mentors
Our Jobs Victoria Mentors provide tailored assistance to jobseekers to become work ready, find a job, and support them in their role for the first six months.
Who can apply
People of migrant, refugee or asylum seeker background who are either long-term unemployed (over six months) or at risk of long-term unemployment who lack adequate support through other services and who live in:
Western Metro: Moonee Valley, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Wyndham, Brimbank, Melton
Southern Metro: Kingston, Cardinia, Casey, Greater Dandenong, Mornington Peninsula, Frankston
Jobseekers must be residents in Victoria, and either Australian citizens, permanent residents or temporary residents who hold visas with work entitlements.
(SSI delivers this service in the Western Region and Southern Region for culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities).
How we can help
We will help you with tailored services specific to your needs, including:
- Working with you in your language to understand your circumstances, and assess your work readiness and support needs.
- Working with you to identify your transferrable skills and skills gaps.
- Linking you to training, resources and tools to gain sustainable and skilled employment.
- Linking you to volunteer opportunities and internships.
- Helping gain recognition of your prior learning and qualifications received overseas.
- Providing personal support such as health, housing, drug and alcohol dependence, childcare and transport, in collaboration with community support services.
- Connecting you to English language, literacy and numeracy support.
- Providing job search support and job search mentoring, including support with developing your CV and drafting job applications.
- Preparing for interviews including assistance with appropriate clothing/grooming and travel to interviews.
- Identifying suitable employment opportunities for you.
- Post-employment support with your employment consultant.
Get in touch with us
Phone: 1800 749 174
We are proud to partner with Jobs Victoria to deliver Jobs Victoria Advocates and Jobs Victoria Mentors. Jobs Victoria supports people looking for work and connects employers with the staff they need in person, online, and on the phone.