Sydney Conference Dates: 29 October – 2 November 2018
2018 International Metropolis Conference - the only gathering of its kind that brings together leaders and experts to discuss migration, diversity and integration.
Visit the website: http://metropolis2018.org.au
Staged in Sydney, from October 29th to November 2nd the conference will provide a unique platform to debate, discuss and critique policy approaches, practice and research in relation to migration. At a time when migration and its place in the body politic is at a critical inflection point, Metropolis 2018 is set to generate global interest and influence.
More than 700 people are expected to attend this year’s event, one of the largest in the conference’s history.
Attended by academia, business leaders, government and key decision makers and community organisations, Metropolis 2018 will facilitate dialogue and critical conversations for a broad global debate and shifts in policy approaches.
The theme for this year’s conference is Global migration and diversity in turbulent times; with a focus on the following eight sub-themes:
• Business, enterprise and employment as catalysts for transformation and social change
• Migration and Mobility - the dynamic shifts in the Asia-Pacific
• Displacement and asylum: the new dimensions driving an old phenomenon
• Visible and powerful: migrant voices in a connected world
• Conflicting agendas? National, local and regional responses and the global governance of migration
• Religious diversity: a bridge or a barrier to belonging?
• Migration and inequality - complex and overlapping challenges under a microscope
• Australia as a multicultural paradise: myths and realities
For the first time, the Conference will also focus on the impact of migration on First Peoples and will profile the importance of their stories including those of Indigenous Australians.
While the Conference runs from Monday to Friday, event hosts SSI are building a program of events and activities to make your stay in Sydney something to remember. On Saturday 3 November, as part of the Conference Cultural Program, SSI will host The New Beginnings Festival in Spring a celebration of the artistic vibrancy, cultural expressions and heritage of people from refugee and migrant backgrounds. Keep an eye out for more satellite events and activities.
We look forward to welcoming you to the 2018 International Metropolis Conference, in Sydney.
Violet Roumeliotis, Conference Chair, Settlement Services International
Dr Bulent (Hass) Dellal AO, Conference Chair, Australian Multicultural Foundation
Hakan Harman, Conference Chair, Multicultural NSW