Settlement Services Program Officer - Policy & Strategy
SSI provides settlement services to newly arrived migrants and refugees in conjunction with a range of partners. Many new arrivals to Australia need to adjust to living in a new culture and society where much of what they have known is different, can be complex, and at times, overwhelming.
To deliver these settlement services across NSW, SSI is the lead partner of a consortium; the NSW Settlement Partnership (NSP), which comprises of 22 organisations. The NSP partners include SSI's 11 member Migrant Resource Centres and multicultural services, and 10 organisations based around the state, including rural areas.
About the role:
The Settlement Services Program Officer will provide policy and strategic advice in the Settlement Services Programme (SSP), to ensure that SSI, its member organisations, and other local/regional service delivery partners in the consortium, continue to lead in this field. This role will be part of the SSP team and will support strategies which maximise the NSW Settlement Partnership's (NSP) capacity to articulate key social policy positions and strategic planning in the SSP. It will also ensure that the external representation of the NSP is well coordinated and informed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Co-develop and drive the strategic positioning of the SSP and NSP
- Provide opportunities for partners of the NSP to inform and contribute to the strategic positioning of the SSP in NSW and Australia wide
- Provide mechanisms for NSP partners to articulate emerging trends from their delivery of the SSP and map target group needs and issues which are then represented in social policy formulation
- Coordinate the state-wide and national systemic advocacy efforts of the NSP using existing mechanisms within the sector e.g. FECCA, SCOA, RCOA and key consultative mechanisms.
- Support NSP partners in their systemic advocacy and representational efforts at the local and regional levels
- Ensure the settlement services policy priorities of employment, education, English and the needs of young people are monitored and policy visions in these areas are well rounded and robust
- To lead in the area of mapping service delivery trends which inform the need for research and evidence building in the SSP
- To lead development of an outcomes framework for settlement services of the NSP
- To then make recommendations and drive with key SSI staff and partners of the NSP, research and evidence initiatives which maximise outcomes for clients of the SSP
- To take the learning from research and evidence both internal, domestic to Australia and internationally to inform practice in the SSP and with NSP partners
- Together with the SSP team deliver an annual settlement awards event
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in a related discipline
- Demonstrated expertise in managing a range of strategic and policy functions within a community service, government, or private sector environment.
- Commitment to and demonstrated experience in working with multicultural core organisations and communities
- In depth understanding of the settlement sector
- Experience in managing multiple partnerships and stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and an ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships with internal & external stakeholders
- Well-developed research skills
- Excellent attention to detail
How to apply:
The successful candidate must undergo a current National Police Clearance in order to be employed in this role.
Applications close date: Wednesday 15th July 2015
SSI adheres to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and workplace health and safety.