SSI Youth@Work is a flexible program that connects experienced mentors with young people aged 15-24 from refugee and migrant backgrounds, to help them maintain work and develop their career goals.
SSI Youth@Work aims to enhance the career outcomes of multicultural youth who often find it difficult to secure long term employment in Australia because of language and cultural barriers. This presents a number of challenges for staff and employers, including reduced confidence and job retention rates.
What kind of support will I provide?
The program provides young people with one-on-one mentoring support for up to six months to help participants adjust to the Australian jobs market and stay in work. This may include any or all of the following:
- Encourage young people to further develop their English language and communication skills
- Support young migrants and refugees to better understand expectations in the workplace, such as punctuality and attendance
- Provide guidance on topics such as rights and responsibilities, cultural awareness and workplace attire
- Advise youth on tools and resources to help them to identify and work towards career goals
How will my support help young people?
SSI Youth@Work mentors help to improve the confidence and independence of multicultural youth by providing them with tools to identify and work towards career goals. This delivers a range of benefits to young people, such as helping them to connect with their community and fully participate in society.
How much time do I need to commit?
SSI Youth@Work is a flexible program that encourages mentors and youth to negotiate terms and conditions that work for you. Mentoring support is provided for 3-6 months and you can connect with young people over the phone, via text message, email, or in person. Mentors are required to commit at least three hours of mentoring support per week.
Can I mentor more than one person at a time?
Yes, mentors can support more than one person at a time, provided they are able to provide adequate support.
Where do I sign up?
Can I refer young people?
SSI Youth@Work mentors are encouraged to invite young people to participate in the program. The program is available to young people who meet the following criteria:
- Are migrants or refugees who have been living in Australia for less than 10 years
- Are employed or completing an apprenticeship or traineeship
- Are aged 15-24 years and living in Greater Western or South Western Sydney
T: (02) 9685 0100
M: 0487 680 207