The Multicultural Foster Care Service provides foster carers and case management for children and young people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD). Our offices are located at Ashfield in Sydney and at Hamilton in the Newcastle area.
Strengthening children through culture
We believe that CALD children and young people in care are strengthened through knowing about and having connections with their cultural heritage. These connections play an important role in identity development and sense of belonging. Our service supports children and young people to learn about and participate in their culture. We also support their foster carers in this area of work.
Support for children and young people
- Case management to meet needs in the areas of health, education, identity, social and emotional development, and contact with family and significant others
- Cultural care planning to address cultural, language and religious needs
- Foster carers from the child or young person’s cultural background where possible
- Bilingual caseworkers
- Casually employed Cultural Aides to help children and carers with cultural needs
Recruiting and Support for foster carers
We are recruiting foster carers for respite, short and long term care. We are interested in applicants from all cultural backgrounds with an interest in supporting multicultural children.
Supporting carers in their work with children and young people is vital, and we provide:
- Carer recruitment and assessment in English or community languages
- Initial and ongoing training
- Monthly visits and regular phone contact with an assigned caseworker
- Access to 24 hour on call phone support
- Respite care
- Carer allowance to meet the cost of caring
- Access to carer support groups including language specific groups
- Information, training and support on caring for culturally diverse children and young people
- Referrals to mainstream and multicultural services and supports
For more information on how to become a foster carer with us, please click on the language specific brochures below in English, Arabic and Vietnamese:
Thanh Nguyen, Foster Carer Recruitment, Training and Assessment Coordinator, on 0402 771 390 or at: email@example.com