The Humanitarian Settlement Services (HSS) program is an early settlement program that provides clients with the essential support and information that they need in order to optimise their settlement experience in Australia.
We do this by connecting client to essential services and by providing information about life in Australia. SSI aims to support clients through their settlement journey within a human rights framework that recognises the individual rights, responsibilities and needs of clients who are newly arrived under the Australian Humanitarian Program.
SSI works under contract with the Australian Department of Immigration And Citizenship to provide this service which includes a range of basic assistance, such as airport pick up, food packages and a mobile phone, through to case management support aimed at developing independence and assisting the client to integrate into their new community.
SSI delivers the HSS Program in accordance with the following HSS Program Principles:
- Respect for the human worth and dignity of client and their cultural and religious diversity
- Protect the health and well being of clients
- Ensure clients contribute to decision that affect them and have influence over their settlement pathways
- Deliver services flexibly through a tailored case management approach which prioritises need and early intervention strategies
- Give particular attention to the needs of children and young people as they are of vital concern
- Ensure services build on individual client strengths and promote client capability and independence
- Work collaboratively with other community and government agencies in the best interests of the client
- Deliver services to a high standard
- Be accountable to the users of services and the Australian government.